Using the FANG Engine requires the use of several free pieces of software. In additon, there are other pieces of software which are useful for making your own games. This page contains links to the software you'll need to develop your own games. All of the software is free and available for all operating systems.
Believe it or not, you can actually program games directly on this web page without installing any software. To do so, you'll need an account. Talk to your instructor about providing you with an account. If you don't have one, you'll need some of the software below.
Java for Windows/Linux/UNIX
- JDK 6 Update 3 (or later) - Download from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
- Choose the online or offline version for your operating system.
- Note: Unlike when you install other programs, you don't just run the Java application once it's installed. Instead, intalling Java allows you to create programs. Don't be alarmed if nothing shows up after you install it, just check to see that you can run the example applets on the FANG Engine webpage.
Java for Mac OS X
- Download the latest version from http://developer.apple.com/java/download/. Java 6 is required for some advanced features of the FANG Engine, but all of the basic functionality is possible using Java 5.
Integrated Development Environment
- Eclipse Europa 3.3. Download from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php
- Netbeans. Download from http://download.netbeans.org/netbeans/6.0/final/
- BlueJ. Download from http://www.bluej.org/download/download.html
- DrJava. Download from http://www.drjava.org/
- Audacity. Download from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/
- Also, download and unzip the LAME MP3 encoder. The first time you try to export an mp3 it will ask you for the location of lame_enc.dll. This is one of the files included in the LAME MP3 download.